Thursday, April 29, 2010

Social Justice Event

On February 27th, I went to a gay rights protest with my cousin, in Smithfield. It was held outside of Ocean State Baptist Church on route seven. At that church that particular day was an organization called the Family Research Council. They were holding an event called New England Family, Life & Marriage Summit inside of the church. Although I did not attend their meeting, I can imagine that it was probably a group of men spewing lies to an ignorant audience. I say this not out of ignorance, but upon seeing their website which talks about such ludicrous topics such as "How did early Christians defeat pagan sexuality?", accusations that homosexuality is simply learned behavior, and one brochure they pass out says that using contraception leads to more unwanted pregnancies (I still can't figure out how that works out.) Also they like to put words such as "discrimination", "harassment" and the like in quotations like I just did...not because they are quoting, but to show their belief that homosexuals do not face any antagonists. Yet, these people are likely the same people who cry discrimination when their hate-laced speech is called bigotry (which it is.).

Sadly, I was only able to show up for about an hour since I had to go to work that afternoon. This issue had some personal merit to my cousin and I as our aunt is gay...not that we wouldn't be protesting for the rights of homosexuals if we didn't have a family member who was. She's actually getting married in July and I totally wish I could use her wedding as my diversity event but that's a few too many months late.

On their way into the church, the officials from the Family Research Council ignored us. This was expected. When confronted with actually facts, that is usually their defense. This draws some parallels to Carlson who speaks of the invisibility homosexuals feel. In this case, those who were advocating for the oppression of homosexuals were ignoring those who were presenting facts to them.

We had a sign that said "honk for gay rights" and seemed to have a lot of support for those driving by. Perhaps this is a sign of certain aspects of the culture of power diminishing...specifically the first two points of SCWAAMP...at least in the north east. Not so much in the rest of the country.

Anyways, I still don't understand the logic behind this whole anti-homosexual movement. Their main point in doing this stems from the fact that in the Book of Leviticus there is mention of male-male sexual intercourse being an abomination. Leviticus also says shrimp are an abomination so why aren't there people protesting Red Lobster?

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting though I want to hear how this connects to our course texts and themes...

    ReplyDelete